- Google Chrome Connection Error
Solved: Err_Connection_Reset in Windows 7
You might come across the Err_Connection_Reset message while using Google Chrome on your Windows 7 computer. This error usually occurs when you try to open a website using Google Chrome. It means that the web browser has failed to sustain the connection to the website that you are attempting to visit. It doesn’t mean that you will come across this error message each time you visit a website on your browser. You will be able to visit some of the websites, but with certain others, the ERR_CONNECTION_RESET message might pop up. Let us now see how to fix that issue on your Windows 7 computer:
Method 1 – Checking your Proxy Settings:
- On your Windows 7 computer, press the Windows key and the S key at the same time. This action will open the Search box.
- In the Search box, type ‘internet option’ (without the quotes).
- From the results displayed on your screen, select Internet Options.
- In the Internet Properties window that appears, click the Connection tab. Then click the LAN settings button.
- The Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window will now be displayed.
- In the window, check if the checkbox next to Automatically detect settings is selected.
- In the Proxy server section, deselect the checkbox next to Use a proxy server for your LAN.
- Finally, to save all the changes, click on the OK button.
Method 2 – Altering your MTU Settings:
MTU is nothing but the Maximum Transmission Unit. If the MTU value is not correct, you might face the Err_Connection_Reset message. So, please make use of the following steps to change the MTU value to the correct one:
- First, on your computer, press the Windows key and the R key at the same time. This action will open the Run dialog box.
- In the dialog box, type ncpa.cpl and press the Enter key.
- The Network Connections window will now pop up. In this window, you will be able to see all the network connections on your Windows 7 computer.
- Now, open the Command Prompt window. If you are using an Ethernet connection, then type in the following command in the Command Prompt window and press the Enter key:
netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “Wireless Network Connection/Local Area Connection” mtu=1472 store=persistent
- Note: In the above command, replace “Wireless Network Connection/Local Area Connection” with your network adapter’s name.
- Now, close the Command Prompt window. Check and see if the issue is resolved. If not, you can try the next method.
Method 3 – Disabling your Antivirus Programs:
In case the website that you are attempting to visit is trustworthy, you can try disabling the antivirus programs on your computer temporarily. To do the same, perform the following steps:
- In the lower-right corner of your Windows 7 computer, you have the Windows notification area. In this area, locate your antivirus program icon.
- Now, right-click the icon and then click the Disable, Stop, Shut down, or any other similar option to disable your antivirus program.
- Finally, restart your web browser and then check whether the issue is resolved.
We have now discussed the “ERR_CONNECTION_RESET” error message that happens with Google Chrome on your Windows 7 computer. We have also seen some troubleshooting methods to resolve the issue.