- 100 Disk Usage Windows 10
How to Fix 100% Disk Usage in Windows 10?
If you are one of those Windows 10 users who are experiencing a low response time, then when you open the Task Manager on your computer, you could notice the Disk usage being 100%. The Task Manager has a whole lot of information regarding the processes running on your computer. When most of the drive space is being exhausted, it results in slowing down the operating system, but actually, you won’t notice too many processes running on the system while you face the 100% disk usage in Windows 10. Here you have few solutions that could get your Windows 10 computer out of the 100% Disk Usage problem.
Method 1: Chkdsk Scan
- Click the Windows icon and type Command prompt in the search bar.
- Right-click on Command Prompt from the search result and select the option Run as Administrator.
- When the Command Prompt opens, type the command Chkdsk * /r and press the Enter button. (Replace the * with the drive letter on your computer to scan all the drives)
- The Chkdsk command will scan the system and fix the errors.
- The 100 % disk usage error will be resolved on your Windows 10 computer.
Method 2: Update Antivirus
Sometimes, if the hard drive’s firmware is outdated or if the antivirus has not been updated for a long time, then that could trigger the 100% disk usage issue. In this method, we shall see the steps for updating the antivirus software. Note: The steps given here are for the Baidu antivirus software.
- Launch the Baidu antivirus application on your computer.
- When the Baidu antivirus software opens, you will find three options on the left side of the screen and a Quick Scan button at the center.
- At the bottom of the interface, you can notice the version of the software.
- Next to the database, you can see the Update button.
- Click the Update button and the Baidu application will now check for updates.
- Once updated, perform a full scan on your Windows 10 computer.
Method 3: Flash
Running Flash on your 10 computer seems to be one of the most deciding factors for the 100% disk usage in Windows 10. You can block specific applications and websites from using Flash to improve the speed of your Windows 10 computer.
The steps to block certain websites from using Flash in the Google Chrome browser are given below.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Click the Menu (three-dotted) icon on the right side of the browser page.
- Click Settings and select the Privacy and Settings option.
- Select the Site Settings option.
- Locate the Flash option and click the toggle switch to block sites from using Flash.
- Restart your computer and check the HDD performance in the Task Manager window.
Method 4: Services
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run command.
- Type cmd and press the Enter button.
- When the command prompt opens, you have to disable the following services by entering the following commands. Press the Enter button after each command.
- Windows Update Services: net stop wuauserv
- Cryptographic: net stop cryptSvc
- BITS: net stop bits
- MSI Installer: net stop msiserver
- Now, rename the SoftwareDistribution and the Catroot2 folder.
- Enter the following commands in command prompt to proceed with the renaming:
- ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Restart the services disabled earlier using the commands given below and press the Enter button for each command.
- Windows Update Services: net start wuauserv
- Cryptographic: net start cryptSvc
- BITS: net start bits
- MSI Installer: net start msiserver
- Restart the computer.
- Open the Task Manager, and the disk usage should be normal now.
- Now, the 100% disk usage in Windows 10 issue is resolved successfully.