- Home »
- Connect 2 Monitors to Laptop
How to Connect 2 Monitors to a Laptop Docking Station?
When you want to extend the display of your laptop to external monitors, but you don’t have the required display ports on your laptop, then you can make use of a laptop docking station. Some manufacturers have Docking Stations designed exclusively for their laptops. Also, there are universal docking stations as well. Most of these universal docking stations support two external monitors using an HDMI port and a Display port. However, there are quite a few universal docking stations that support up to 3 or 4 external monitors. Along with external monitors, you can also connect your keyboard, mouse, Ethernet cable, etc. to the laptop docking station.
In order to connect 2 monitors to a laptop docking station, carry out the instructions as mentioned below.
- Initially, get your preferred laptop docking station.
- Install the drivers for the docking station, either using the product CD or the driver downloaded from the manufacturer’s official website.
- Make sure that your laptop has a USB-C port to connect it to the docking station. If it doesn’t have one, then make use of a USB-C to A converter cable. Usually, the universal docking stations provide this cable along with the product box.
- Before connecting the laptop to the docking station, make sure it has enough battery charge in it.
- Connect the power adapter to the docking station and turn it on.
- Connect the laptop’s USB-C port to the USB-C port on the docking station.
- Have your external monitors ready and turn them on.
- If your monitor has an HDMI port and Display port, then connect them to the respective ports in the docking station.
- Else, make use of the respective adapters to connect the monitors to the docking station.
- Now, you can notice the screen of your laptop being displayed on both the monitors.
On your laptop, go to the Display settings and make the required changes if you wish to extend your work area by having a different display on each monitor.