- Home »
- Fix A Mac With A Flashing Question Mark
How To Fix A Mac With A Flashing Question Mark
Have you ever come across the Mac question mark error? Well, let me tell you that the question mark error is a nightmare for Mac users. The question mark (?) error is caused when your Mac cannot detect the boot directory. This might be a result of the unavailability of your startup disk or the macOS installation on it.
There are some possible troubleshooting steps that you can perform on your Mac so that it can How To Fix A Mac With A Flashing Question Mark error (?).
Scenario 1: If the Mac boots despite showing the Question mark (?) error for a few seconds
- Click the Apple menu icon on the top left corner of the screen.
- Select System Preferences from the options and click Startup Disk.
- Click the Restart button in the Startup disk window.
- Once the Mac restarts, you will no longer see the Question mark error (?)
Scenario 2: When the Mac does not startup after the Question mark (?) error is seen.
- In this case, you have to run your Mac in Recovery mode.
- Force shutdown your Mac. For this, press the power button on your Mac for a couple of seconds.
- Again, while the Mac restarts, press and hold the Command + R Keys together until you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.
- Enter the administrator password and select the Wi-Fi network when prompted.
- When you enter Recovery mode, click the Apple menu and select the Startup Disk option.
- Select the Mac HD on the screen and click the Restart button.
- If you are unable to boot with the Startup disk feature, you have to repair the disk using the Disk Utility.
- Navigate to Mac OS Utilities in recovery mode and select Disk Utility.
- Select the disk from the left pane of the Disk Utility window, click the First Aid button seen at the top pane of the Disk Utility window and click the Repair button.
- Once the Repair is complete, click the Done button.
- Click the Apple menu icon and select Startup Disk. Then, select the Mac HD and click the Restart button.
If you still see the question mark error at the startup of your Mac even after performing the troubleshooting methods explained above, then the other options you have are to reinstall the macOS or to restore your disk from a Time Machine Backup. Perform either of the options and How To Fix A Mac With A Flashing Question Mark issue endlessly. Now, the Question mark (?) error will no longer appear when your Mac starts up.