- HP Laptop won’t find External Monitor
Why is HP Laptop not Detecting External Monitor?
To resolve why is HP laptop not detecting external monitor issue, refer to the quick steps given here.
- Make sure the external monitor is turned on.
- Check if you have connected the external monitor to the correct video port.
- Open the Display Settings screen and navigate to the Multiple Displays section.
- Check if the external monitor is displayed on the screen.
- If not, click the Detect button.
- Set the correct video port in the Source field.
Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- Right-click the Start icon and choose the Control Panel option.
- Select the Large icons option from the View by drop-down menu.
- Click Troubleshooting -> View all -> Hardware and Devices -> Next.
- Continue with the on-screen prompts to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.
- The troubleshooter will detect the problem and resolve it.
- Check if the HP laptop not detecting external monitor problem has been resolved.
- Type System Restore in the Windows search bar and press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- Select the System Restore option from the search results.
- If prompted, type the administrator password.
- Click Choose a different restore point -> Next.
- Choose your restore point and select the Next option followed by the Finish option.
- If you need to return to a restore point, open the Control Panel screen.
- Type Recovery in the search field and select the same from the displayed list.
- Click Open System Restore -> Next and select the restore point related to the problematic application, driver, or update.
- Click Next -> Finish to complete the process.
Installing the latest driver updates
- Launch the Device Manager screen, right-click your device, and choose the Update Driver Software option.
- Choose either the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ or Browse my computer for driver software’ option.
Scan for hardware changes
- In the Device Manager window, navigate to the Monitors section and right-click your external monitor.
- Click Uninstall -> Scan for hardware changes.
- If you see the generic PnP message on the screen, uninstall the driver and download a newer version from the manufacturer website.
- Select the Include subfolders checkbox and click the Next button.
Installing drivers in compatibility mode
- Save the downloaded driver on your local disk.
- Right-click the driver file, select the Properties option, and navigate to the Compatibility tab.
- Select the checkbox beside the ‘Run this program in Compatibility mode’ option.
- Choose the computer’s OS from the appropriate drop-down list.
- Once done with installing the latest driver, restart your HP laptop.
Updating video driver
- Type ‘Administrative Tools’ without the quotes in the Control Panel search bar and select the same from the displayed search results.
- Double-click the Computer Management option, select the Device Manager option, and navigate to the Display adapters section.
- If you see Windows Basic Video, right-click it and click the Update driver software button.
Enabling external monitor
- In the Control Panel window, click the Hardware and Sound option and navigate to the Display section.
- Click Adjust Screen Resolution -> Project to a Second Screen -> Extend.
- Select the Extend These Displays option from the Multiple Displays drop-down menu.
- After changing the settings, select the Apply option and click OK.
- If you have chosen Show Desktop only on 1, the external monitor will not be shown on the desktop of the HP laptop.
- If the HP laptop not detecting external monitor problem persists on the HP laptop, click the Call button on this page to get technical assistance from our support member.