Fix HP Laptop not Recognizing External Hard Drive
To fix HP laptop not recognizing external hard driveissue, follow given guidance.
- First, check if the external hard drive is plugged into the USB port of the HP laptop properly.
- Try to connect the drive to a different USB port.
- Update the USB controller driver if it is outdated. If needed, reinstall it.
- Also, update the firmware of the external hard drive.
- If the external hard drive is still not recognized by the HP laptop, carry out any one of the following solutions to resolve the issue.
Solution 1 – Setting a new partition on the external drive
- If you are connecting the external hard drive to the HP laptop for the first time, then it might not be recognized sometimes. The reason behind this is there is a chance for the hard drive to not have any partitions.
- So, try to create a partition on the external hard drive as per the instructions mentioned below.
- Launch the Disk Management window by entering the ‘diskmgmt.msc’ command in the Windows search bar followed by selecting the same from the search results.
- If you see the external hard drive, right-click on the unallocated space on the drive and select the New Simple Volume option.
- Set the size of the volume, connect the external hard drive again, and check if the issue has been resolved.
- If the HP laptop not recognizing external hard drive issue persists, format the external hard drive.
Solution 2 – Disabling USB selective suspend setting
- You are recommended to create a restore point before changing the power settings.
- Type power management and select the Power & sleep settings option from the displayed search results.
- Click the Additional power settings link followed by the Change plan settings link next to your preferred plan.
- Click the Change advanced power settings link.
- Navigate to USB settings -> USB selective suspend setting.
- Choose the Disabled option from the Settings drop-down menu and click Apply followed by OK to save the altered settings.
- Restart the HP laptop.
Solution 3 – Registry fix
- In the Device Manager window, navigate to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section and right-click the USB Mass Storage Device option.
- Click Properties and then click Details.
- Now right-click your path and select the Copy option.
- Navigate to the ‘Computer -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet ->Enum-USB ->VID ->Device Parameters’ path in the Registry Editor window.
- Set the value of EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled to 0, click the OK option, and restart the HP laptop.
Solution 4 – Changing the drive letter
- Navigate to the Disk Management window, right-click the external hard drive, and select the Choose Drive Letter and Paths option.
- Click Change, choose your preferred drive letter from the ‘Assign the following drive letter’ drop-down menu, and select the OK option.
- If you need technical assistance in resolving the HP laptop not recognizing external hard drive issue, click the Call button.